HIRDA stands for Himilo Relief and Development Association. The word ‘Himilo’ is a Somali word which means ‘vision’. Founded by members of the Somali diaspora in the Netherlands, HIRDA works with other organisations to find lasting solutions to poverty and human suffering in Somalia. Since its formation in 1998, HIRDA has become one of the leading migrant organisations in the Netherlands working on aid and development issues.
A Horn of Africa where people live in peace, without hunger and with equal opportunities for all.
To improve the well being of Somali groups in the Horn of Africa through enhancing self reliance and access to basic social services together with local and diaspora communities.
In order to realize this mission, HIRDA focuses on six intervention areas:
Within the intervention areas, HIRDA established the following objectives:
- Equal educational opportunities for boys and girls;
- Promoting women empowerment in Somali society;
- Mobilising relief services for refugees and internally displaced people;
- Creating income-generating activities;
- Promoting social engagements within local communities;
- Mobilising the Somali diaspora to engage in the development of their home country.
Acting as a bridge between local communities and international donor organisations, HIRDA is politically neutral and non-discriminatory.
“We are making progress in Somalia, but it is an on-going process. We would like to thank every individual and organisation as well as our donors for their support and inspiration as we continue our development work in Somalia.” – HIRDA Board
To see HIRDA’s strategic and annual reports, please click here.